2017-present, 2009-13, 2006-7, 2004-5, 1992-1998
• Contributor to The New York Times Magazine, Bloomberg Businessweek, Time, Slate, Nature, Scientific American, Wired, National Geographic, The Guardian, Car & Driver, Town & Country, NPR's “Morning Edition,” LA Times Magazine, New York, Fast Company, Wired, Bon Appétit, Columbia Journalism Review, Salon, Los Angeles, Pacific Standard, Radar, McSweeney’s, McSweeneys.net, N.Y. Daily News, and others.
•Contributed to six anthologies, all from major publishers
Sept. 2013-Dec. 2016
• Initiated long-form narrative journalism venture for a news website with appx. 6 million monthly unique visitors
• Conceived, researched, commissioned, and edited 3-5 features per month, each 2000-to-8000 words in length, on global health & development, economic opportunity, environment, education, sustainable markets, and other topics
• These articles have garnered awards from the American Society of Journalists and Authors; Excellence in Financial Journalism awards; Society of Environmental Journalists; Folio: magazine’s Eddie Awards; Assn. of Food Journalists; and the L.A. Press Club.
• Worked closely with Editor-in-Chief to shape a strategy for long-form content on the site, including topics, voice, and complementary content esp. video
• Coordinated with staff for art treatment, social media strategy, and marketing of stories
• Author of a 2015 feature profile; Sept. 2013 cover story; and features in Jan. 2013 and Oct. 2012, as well as shorter items, on environmental issues, criminal justice, medical science, and more
August 2013-March 2015
Project Manager- Marketplace
•Researched, reported, and wrote a 15,000-word online project about public education finance and built a tool to explore correlations between different methods or statistical factors and outcomes.
Articles Editor, Plenty
•Number-three editor at a bimonthly environmental-lifestyle magazine
•As editor of the magazine's website, was commissioning editor of a daily short feature and edited and managed a roster of blogs.
Articles Editor, Men's Journal
•Top-level editor in a 25-person editorial department at the men’s monthly
•Oversaw all environmental coverage at the magazine, editing a monthly environmental column as well as features
•Wrote two features, including one that was picked up by the New York Daily News, Gawker, TVNewser and Fox News, among others
•Edited features and wrote for the ASME-nominated magazine and its website
•Radar was nominated for an ASME award for General Excellence (its only such recognition) for issues produced during my tenure.
Senior Editor, Seed
•Senior editor in a 13-person editorial department at science-culture magazine with a 192,000 circulation base
•Top-edited the entire 96-page magazine; wrote/selected nearly all display copy
•Conceived, solicited, edited, and re-wrote features and shorter front-of-book pieces
•Seed was nominated for general excellence in the 2007 National Magazine Awards (its only ASME nomination). It was also recognized for best science/technology coverage, and nominated for general excellence, in the 2006 Independent Press Awards (its only win). One of the articles I edited was included in the 2007 edition of Best American Science and Nature Writing (Houghton-Mifflin).
•Produced long- and short-form segments for daily radio current-affairs programs: “To the Point,” covering national and international news and heard by over 300,000 listeners nationally; and “Which Way L.A.?,” the premier public-affairs program in Southern California
•Responsible for 2-5 segments per week; conceived and developed program ideas; researched topics; and pre-interviewed a broad range of notable guests such as members of Congress, former presidential candidates, a UN Under Secretary General, 9/11 victims’ families, and journalists reporting live from Iraq and Afghanistan
•The programs won multiple L.A. Press Club Awards in 2004, including Best News Bureau.
Senior Editor, Might
•Senior editor of the national independent general-interest bimonthly
•Might was named the 19th best magazine of all time by a panel of industry experts; one of Library Journal’s Ten Best Magazines for 1994; and was the only dual nominee in the 1997 Independent Press Awards
•Wrote and edited cover stories; conceived, edited and assigned features and reviews
•Produced the entire critically acclaimed 72-page bi-monthly with a staff of 4-to-6
University of California at Berkeley
B.A. in History, 1992